BS (Honors) in Psychology
The Psychology Department of Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences is offering a four year BS(Hons) in Psychology. BS Psychology is essentially a research based graduation degree offering specialization/majors in Organizational Psychology and Educational Psychology.
This program is spread over a period of 4 years, divided into 8 semesters with 130 credit hours. In addition to the normal course work, the student will be required to do lab-work, research and/or project based internship to complete the degree program.
After the successful completion of the program the students will be
- aware of the history and scope of modern Psychology
- Understand biological basis of human behavior in perception, thinking, emotions and motivation
- Well versed in application of advanced statistical techniques used in Psychological research
- Develop a worldview of positive psychology, i.e. application of psychology as a hygienic science used to sustain mental health and growth
- Demonstrate knowledge about human nature and its various dimensions, such as personality, intelligence, emotions and motivation
- Displaying scientific mindset and aptitude for further learning and research in Psychology
- Using critical thinking and problem solving to successfully deal with difficult situations and behaviors in life
- Counseling and guiding others for behavior modification, personality development, career growth and other personal and professional issues.
The students who have passed FA / FSC/ A Levels examinations will be eligible for admission in BS (Hons) Psychology Program. Students who have passed I Com and BA are also eligible.
* Internal and external credit hour transfer is also applicable.
The following course combinations are available at BS (Hons) Psychology
The students will be offered a combination of courses depending upon their ability and aptitude and the strength of students to formulate an independent section.
Electives will be available from many relative disciplines, and students can select electives from:
- Management Sciences
- Language (English, Arabic)
- Islamic Studies
Proposed Road Map for BS Psychology
General Education = 30 credit hours
Core Foundation courses in Psychology = 48 credit hours
Majors in Psychology = 24 credit hours
Electives in Psychology or other subjects = 24 credit hours
Research paper / Internship = 4 credit hours
Total = 130 Credit hours
Students with successful completion of BS Psychology will have following opportunities:
- To work as psychologist in the relevant industry of specialization
- To teach in various educational institutions
- To pursue careers and higher education abroad anywhere in the world.
- To appear in the CSS and PMS exams;
- To Join Armed forces as psychologists
- To join NGOs and/or any other professional research/training organization