Department of English offers a rigorous and intensive 4-Year degree programme in English Language and Literature. The programme aims at developing learners’ ability to critically read and analyze linguistics and literary texts in their historical, socio-political, cultural and philosophical contexts combined with aesthetic pleasure and intellectual stimulation. Emphasis is on the breadth and depth of coverage in the selection of courses in order to develop an understanding of different genres and forms of literary expression (poetry, prose, novel, drama, non- fiction) as well as linguistic and rhetorical skills through frequent reading and writing assignments and class discussions.
The programme structure is flexible and diverse to cater to the needs of the contemporary job market and student interests at the same time. Study of literature is blended with the study of English language with the aim of improving the linguistic and pedagogical competence of those who wish to choose to teach as their career as well as those preparing for careers in media, business, diplomacy etc., which demand well developed interpretive communication skills. We expect that this programme of study taught by our highly enthusiastic and qualified faculty will instill in students a passion for reading and writing. It will provide confidence to appreciate, interpret and analyze complex literary texts by contextualizing them in their broad theoretical and ideological context in written and oral form.
- Sr. No. Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1Foundational Requirements 15
- 2Compulsory Requirements 06
- 3Compulsory General Requirements 09
- 4General Requirements 18
- 5Subject-speciﬁc Foundational 12
- 6Subject-speciﬁc Requirements 78
- 7Community Service 0
Course Plan for BS English Language and Literature
Year 1, Semester 1Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1EL1143Study SkillsCompulsory General3
- 2ELHU1043Introduction to AnthropologyGeneral3
- 3ELHU1013Pakistan StudiesCompulsory3
- 4EL1103English-I: Reading and Writing SkillsFoundational3
- 5EL1613Introduction to Literary StudiesSubject-specific Foundational3
- 6EL1423Introduction to Language StudiesSubject-specific Foundational3
Year 1, Semester 2Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1ELHU1023Islamic StudiesCompulsory3
- 2ELHU1053Introduction to PhilosophyGeneral3
- 3ELHU1063Introduction to PsychologyGeneral3
- 4ELL1113English-II: Advanced English WritingFoundational3
- 5EL1433Introduction to Phonetics & PhonologySubject-specific Foundational3
- 6EL1623Lit Forms and MovementsSubject-specific Foundational3
Year 2, Semester 3Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1EL2313Introduction to Mass CommunicationsGeneral3
- 2EL2713Global PoetryGeneral3
- 3EL2123English-III: Communication SkillsFoundational3
- 4EL2723Short StorySubject-specific3
- 5EL2623Introduction to MorphologySubject-specific3
- 6ELCS1013Introduction to Information & Computer Technology (ICT) SkillsFoundational3
Year 2, Semester 4Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1ELHU2033Introduction to SociologyCompulsory General3
- 2EL2133English-IV: Academic Reading & WritingFoundational3
- 3EL2733Classical and Renaissance DramaSubject-specific3
- 4EL2743Classical PoetrySubject-specific3
- 6EL2753Rise of the Novel (18th to 19th Century)Subject-specific3
Year 3, Semester 5Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1ELHU3073Introduction to International RelationsGeneral3
- 2EL3413Foreign LanguageCompulsory General3
- 3EL3763Romantic and Victorian PoetrySubject-specific3
- 4EL3633Foundations of Literary Theory and CriticismSubject-specific3
- 6EL3463Forensic LinguisticsSubject-specific3
Year 3, Semester 6Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1EL3773Modern PoetrySubject-specific3
- 2EL3783Modern DramaSubject-specific3
- 3EL3793Modern NovelSubject-specific3
- 4EL3473Grammar & SyntaxSubject-specific3
- 5EL3153Discourse StudiesSubject-specific3
- 6EL3163Creative NonfictionSubject-specific3
Year 4, Literature - Semester 7Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1EL4173Research Methods & Term Paper WritingSubject-specific3
- 2EL4483Applied LinguisticsSubject-specific3
- 4EL4643Literary Theory and PracticeSubject-specific3
- 5EL4653Pakistani Literature in EnglishSubject-specific3
Year 4, Literature - Semester 8Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1EL4663Postcolonial LiteratureSubject-specific3
- 2EL4673American LiteratureSubject-specific3
- 3EL4493Translation StudiesSubject-specific3
- 4EL4193Womens WritingSubject-specific3
- 5EL4403World EnglishesSubject-specific3
BS English Language & Literature
- Sr. No. COURSE NAME Admission Fee Per Credit Hour Fee Total Credit Hours Degree Fee
- 1BS English Language & Literature 25,000 62,001398,86,800
The above-mentioned fee structure is for illustration purpose only. UCP reserves the rights to make changes in the Fee Structure whenever deemed necessary or appropriate.