Guest Speaker Session on Logistics and Transportation in Oil and Gas Industry
Report on Guest Speaker Session: Logistics and Transportation in Oil and Gas Industry
Semester: Fall 2022
Organized by: Ms. Syeda Uzma Tahira
Department of Marketing, Operations and Supply Chain Management
Every vertical industry presents unique supply chain challenges, but none is as complex as oil and gas. Transporting product requires special equipment, strict regulatory compliance, and extensive safety procedures. It often requires multiple modes, and involves everything from supplying materials for oil rigs to moving extremely heavy equipment and hazardous materials. Logistics in the oil and gas industry demands a great sense of urgency and need for visibility.
In order to develop practical understanding of students and to strengthen academia-industry linkage, a guest speaker session was organized on the topic “Logistics and Transportation in Oil and Gas Industry” for BBA Students on Thursday,17th of November 2022 from 12:30- 2:00 pm. The event was organized by Ms. Syeda Uzma Tahira, Senior Lecturer, Operations and Supply Chain Management.
Mr. Shahzad Ali (Corporate Head, IK Group, Pyramid Gas Pvt. Ltd.) was invited as the guest speaker.
Students from the class “Transportation & Distribution Planning” (MGMT 4673)” attended the session.
The guest speaker session had following objectives.
- Introduce students with fundamentals of business logistics, transportation and distribution, its role and importance in oil and gas industry
- Introduce students to different modes of transportation, issues of infrastructure and role of emerging technologies in transportation systems of LPG
- Discuss career prospects in oil and gas industry for fresh graduates and skill set expected by the recruiters
Activities During the Session:
Mr. Shahzad Ali shared his personal experience with students and highlighted different elements of logistics and transportation of liquefied petroleum gas including
- Major Suppliers and Importers of LPG in Pakistan
- LPG Logistics & LPG Storage
- Means of LPG Transportation
- LPG Operations
- LPG Consumers
- Limitations and Issues in LPG Storage and Transportation
He further discussed skill set expected from students and emphasized students to have professional certifications in different domains of business management for adding value in their profile. After the session students asked questions relevant to the topic and discussed career prospects in industry for fresh graduates. The session concluded with a note of thanks and souvenir distribution to the guest speaker.