Enable the students to meet their real life communication needs.
Practice in writing a good, unified and coherent paragraph
CV and job application
Urdu to English
Skimming and scanning, intensive and extensive, and speed reading, summary and précis writing and comprehension
Letter/memo writing, minutes of meetings, use of library and internet
Personality development (emphasis on content, style and pronunciation)
Note: documentaries to be shown for discussion and review
- a) Grammar
- Practical English Grammar by A.J. Thomson and A.V. Martinet. Exercises 2. Third edition. Oxford University Press 1986. ISBN 0 19 431350 6.
- b) Writing
- Writing. Intermediate by Marie-Chrisitine Boutin, Suzanne Brinand and Francoise Grellet. Oxford Supplementary Skills. Fourth Impression 1993. ISBN 019 435405 7 Pages 45-53 (note taking).
- Writing. Upper-Intermediate by Rob Nolasco. Oxford Supplementary Skills. Fourth Impression 1992. ISBN 0 19 435406 5 (particularly good for writing memos, introduction to presentations, descriptive and argumentative writing).
- c) Reading
- Reading. Advanced. Brian Tomlinson and Rod Ellis. Oxford Supplementary Skills. Third Impression 1991. ISBN 0 19 453403 0.
- Reading and Study Skills by John Langan
- Study Skills by Riachard York.