- Overview of economic growth theories, dependency theory, market friendly approach and catching up hypothesis.
- Economic policies and programmes for regional specialization and diversification; issues of irrigation and water management; agricultural labour force and mechanization; taxation and credit in agricultural sector; integration of farm enterprises; non-renewable resource policy; land markets and land use issues; comparative analysis of water resource project;
- Foreign trade and economic development.
- Financial development and its role in economic development.
- Human resource development and its role in economic development.
- Employment, underemployment and employment issues.
- WTO and developing countries, Trade, Aid and Growth.
- Environment and development.
- Institutions and economic development.
- Structural Adjustment Programmes and their impacts.
- Income distribution, poverty and economic growth.
- Allen, T. and A. Thomas (2000). Poverty and Development. 2nd Oxford University Press.
- Meier, G.M. and J.E. Rauch (2005). Leading Issues in Economic Development, 8th edition, Oxford University Press.
- Meier, G.M. and J.M. Stiglitz (2001). Frontiers of Development Economics: The Future in Perspective. Oxford University Press/The World Bank.
- Stiglitz, Joseph and Gerald Meier. (2001), Frontiers of Development Economics: The Future in Perspective. Oxford University Press / The World Bank
- Todaro, M.P. and S.C. Smith (2011), Economic Development, 11th edition, Pearson Education Limited.