The course aims to focus on learning of issues related to psychotropic drugs, prescribed by psychiatrist, issues includes their dosage, side effects, clinical implications, contra indications etc. This would enhance students’
understanding of disorders; besides the knowledge is essential to device therapy strategies accordingly.
The course of psychopharmacology includes the study of the actions of drugs and their effects on mood, sensation, thinking, and behaviour. In this course student will study a wide range of substances with various types of psychoactive properties, focusing primarily on the chemical interactions with the brain. They will learn about psychotropic medicine,their classifications (anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, anti-convulsants, anti-psychotics) and drugs’ mechanisms of action, clinical implications, side effects, contraindications. Moreover, mini mental status examination, electro convulsive therapy, routes of drug administration will also be included in the course. Upcoming evidenced based revolutions in the field will also be a part of the course. Since, students would deal with individuals who at times are referred by psychiatrists may be using theses medicines.
- Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology (7th Edition). Alan F.
Schatzberg., Jonathan O. Cole.,& Charles Debattista. (2010).American Psychiatric Publishing, In (2010).
- Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Psychologists (1st Edition).Bret A. Moore., Mark Muse. (Eds.). Wiley (2012)
- Encyclopedia of Psychopharmacology (1st Edition). Ian P. Stolerman. (Ed.). Springer (2010)
- Clinical Psychopharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple (Medmaster Ridiculously Simple Series) (7th Edition). John D. Preston., James Johnson. MedMasterInc (2011)
- Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychopharmacology Made Simple (2nd Revised Updated Edition).John D. Preston., John O’neal.,& Mary C. Talaga. New Harbinger Publications (2010).
- Handbook of Clinical Psychopharmacology for Therapists (6th Edition). John D. Preston., John H. O’Neal.,& Mary C. Talaga. New Harbinger Publications (2010)
- Psychopharmacology (1st Edition).R.H. Ettinger. Prentice Hall (2010)
- The Prescriber’s Guide (Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology) (4th Edition). Stephen M. Stahl. Cambridge University Press (2011)
- Basic Psychopharmacology for Counselors and Psychotherapists (2nd Edition). Richard S. Sinacola.,& Timothy S. Peters-Strickland. Prentice Hall (2011)
- Case Studies: Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology (Stalh) (1st Edition).Stephen M. Stahl., Debbi A. Morrissette.,& Nancy MuntnerCambridge University Press (2011)