Autacoids And Their Antagonists
Histamine and anti-histamines, serotonin and serotonin antagonist, prostaglandins and their antagonists
Drugs Acting On Respiratory System
- Drugs used in cough (Anti-tussives, Expectorants and Mucolytic agents).
- Drugs used in Bronchial Asthma. Bronchodilators: Sympathomimetic, Xanthine derivatives, Leukotriene receptor antagonists and synthesis inhibitors, Muscarinic receptor antagonists, Cromoglycate, Nedocromil, Cortecosteroids & other Anti-inflammatory drugs.
Drugs Acting On Cardio-Vascular System
- Angina pectoris and its drug treatment
- Congestive heart failure & its treatment.
- Anti-arrhythmic drugs
- Coagulants and Anti-coagulants
Drugs Acting On Genitourinary System
Oxytocin, Ergot alkaloids and uterine relaxants.
Hormones, Antagonists And Other Agents Affecting Endocrine Function
Endocrine function and dysfunctions. Drug used for therapy of Diabetes Mellitus: Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic agents, Corticosteroids, Thyroid hormone and anti-thyroid drugs.
- Only an introduction will be given of the banned and obsolete drug products.
- While dealing with Pharmacology stress should be laid to the group actions of related drugs and only important differences should be discussed of the individual drugs placed in same group.
- Newly introduced drugs should be included in the syllabus while drugs with no clinical and therapeutic values ought to be excluded from syllabus at any time.
- The prototype drugs in each group from the latest edition of the recommended books.
Practical of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Preparation of standard solution. Ringer solution. Tyrode solution. Kreb solution. Normal saline solution. To demonstrate the effects of sympathomimetic (Adrenaline) &sympatholytic drugs (Propranolol) on Frog’s heart. To demonstrate the effects of parasympathomimetic (Acetylcholine) and parasympatholytic (Atropine) drugs on Frog’s heart. To demonstrate the effects of an unknown drug on Frog’s heart. Routes of Administration of drugs. To demonstrate the effects of vasconstrictor drugs on Frog’s blood vessels. To demonstrate the effects of stimulant drugs on Rabbit’s intestine (Acetyl choline, Barium chloride). To demonstrate the effects of depressant drugs on Rabbit’s intestine (Atropine). To differentiate the effects of an unknown drug on Rabbit’s intestine and identify the (unknown) drug. To study the effects of Adrenaline on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Homatropine on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Pilocarpine on Rabbit’s Eyes. To study the effects of Local Anaesthetic drug (e.g Cocaine) on Rabbit’s Eyes. To identify the unknown drug & differentiate its effects on Rabbit’s Eyes (Note: A minimum of 10 practicals will be conducted).