The MPhil offered by the Department of Physics, as a two year pre–doctorate full–time degree program, will introduce students to research skills and specialist knowledge. During this program each student will undertake a course of supervised research on an approved subject in Physics. In addition, the program includes lectures and extensive literature survey especially in the early part of the course. The precise lectures taken will be decided through discussion with the supervisor and may vary according to the research area being studied.
Objectives of the Program
Department of Physics aims to enhance the level of understanding of the enrolled students
and to provide them the relevant experience and the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision. The program targets to train students to acquire excellence in theoretical as well as applied physics. The program has been carefully
designed to meet the following objectives
- To provide students with general understanding of techniques and comprehensive knowledge of the literature, applicable to their field of research.
- To prepare the graduating scholars for individual as well as group research work and guiding them to demonstrate originality in problem solving.
Through this program and training the professionals, Department of Physics aims to become the most preferred choice of students, faculty and industry. We intend to enhance the ranking of the department and university at national and international level.
Scope Regarding Market, Social and Employment Perspective of the
Physics finds a wide application in industry, atomic and space organization, meteorology, electronics and research laboratories. Physicist are mainly involved in teaching as well as research and development in specialized fields. Many techniques used now a days in engineering, medical sciences, nanotechnology, biotechnology and quantum computing are the result of advancements in Physics instrumentation. In fact, the whole world system is now relying on spin particles which are the fundamental results obtained from the information of high-energy particle Physics. The contributions by Physicists around the globe has provided energy efficient solution to problems such as smart or free energy production, preserving the natural environmental resources, controlling global warming and public health. All these issues had been part of every society in all times and have an enormous impact on our society.
The analytical skills that physicists learn make them versatile and adaptable, so they have a reputation as problem solvers and work in interesting places. The graduates will have the opportunity to do
- Industry Projects investigating a Real Physics Problem.
- There is further flexibility for students to Work Remotely as Data Analysts in
Computational and Experimental International Projects
On National Level students can join
- National Centre of Physics (NCP),
- Pakistan Nuclear Physics Program
- Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC)
Year 1, Semester-I (12 Cr. Hrs.)Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1PH7023Advanced Plasma Physics Compulsory3
- 2PH7103Advanced Quantum Mechanics Compulsory3
- 3PH7303Materials ScienceCompulsory3
- 4PH7403Advance Computational PhysicsCompulsory3
Year 1, Semester-II (12 Cr. Hrs.)Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1PH7203Advanced Electrodynamics Compulsory3
- 2PH7323Nanostructures and Nanotechnology Compulsory3
- 3PH7043Spacecraft Environment InteractionElective3
- 4PH7063Experimental Techniques Elective3
Year 2, Semester-III (6 Cr. Hrs.)Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1CH7906ThesisResearch6 (N*)
Year 2, Semester-IV (6 Cr. Hrs.)Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 2CH7921Thesis ContinuationResearch1
Year 2, List of courses to be offered:Sr. No. Course Code Course Title Category Cr. Hrs.
- 1PH7003Mathematical Methods of PhysicsCompulsory3
- 2PH7013Nuclear PhysicsCompulsory3
- 2PH7013Nuclear PhysicsCompulsory3
- 3PH7033Selected Topics on Advanced Plasma PhysicsElective3
- 4PH7053Experimental Plasma PhysicsElective3
- 5PH7313Accelerator Techniques of Materials Elective3
- 6PH7073Accelerator and Detector PhysicsElective3
- 7PH7083Environmental Physics and Applied TechnologyElective3
- 8PH7603Advance Lasers and TechniquesElective3
- 9PH7613Applied Optics Elective3
- 11PH7343Semiconductors PhysicsElective3
- 12PH7353PV System DesignsElective3
- To be eligible for the degree of MPhil, the scholar must have to successfully complete the following requirements with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 at the scale of 4.00:
- Course work: 24 credit hours:
- Research work /thesis: 6 credit
- The maximum allowable duration, inclusive of semester breaks, to complete the MPhil degree shall be four years.
- Sr. No. COURSE NAME Per Credit Hour Fee Admission Fee Total Credit Hours Degree Fee
- 1M.Phil. Physics10,800 25,000303,49,000