Dr. Zia ur Rehman
Dr. Zia obtained PhD from CEMB, University of the Punjab Lahore. He has worked in CEMB, University of the Punjab from Dec. 1986-Nov. 2013. He has established Forensic Research Lab at CEMB in 1995 and worked on HLA Typing and STRs. This research work yielded in Criminal case studies being presented in the Court of Law in Oct.2001. He has a vast experience to work on Metal Binding Proteins using DNA, RNA Isolation and their electrophoresis. He has worked on fungus Ascochyta Rabiei for its toxin inducing substances in Chickpea. He has worked with the Bioinformatics group of CEMB as a member to synthesize genes for the production of Pharmaceutical proteins like Interferon and Erythropoietin. Administratively, He has been Chairman Academic Committee of CEMB from 2011-2013. He has supervised 22 M.Phil. & 6 PhD students during his tenure. He has published 31 International articles in peer reviewed journals and many conference papers are on his credit. He has obtained research grants from MoST. His area of research is Forensic DNA Typing, Molecular Biology, and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology.
- Ecology, Biodiversity and Evolution
- PhD (Molecular Biology) from University of The Punjab. Pakistan.
- M.Sc (Biochemistry) from University of Agriculture Faisalabad Pakistan.
Research and Teaching Experience
Worked with the group studying metal binding proteins using yeast as model organism.
Worked with the group trying to find out molecular basis of chickpea blight and interactions between Chickpea and Ascochyta rabiei, I have tried to establish the role chickpea components for the induction of toxin production by the pathogen Ascochyta rabiei comparing resistant and susceptible cultivars of Chickpea.
Worked with the Production group of the Centre busy to provide different molecular biological tools to the researchers. I used to synthesize oligonucletide (Primers for DNA amplification, linkers, adapters etc.)
Worked with and lead forensic group to establish conditions for DNA fingerprinting (Human, Bacterial and Plant). Conditions for genotyping and human identification were established in the lab. Helped Punjab Police to resolve a parentage case, Blood samples were processed for genotyping STR loci and DNA test report was generated in September, 2001 and Lahore High Court decided the case in the light of the reported results in October, 2001 first time in the history of Pakistan. Supervised and guided seven M. Phil. Students to complete their research assignment in the field of DNA Fingerprinting.
Worked with the Biopharmaceutical group, tried to get native gene for human erythropoietin but in vein. Gene was designed with appropriate cloning strategy for Erythropoietin and Interferon alpha 2b.
- January, 2006 – to October, 2009.
Worked with Bioinformatic group of the Centre. Bioinformatics tools for the annotation of raw genetic information are learnt. Major objectives addressed are development of epitope vaccines against economically important threats to life. Basic work to organize human MHC binding peptides data has been done for future research. Other fields of working titles are related to gene optimization for better expression in target organisms and changes in physio-chemical properties of proteins in response to genetic mutation.
- October, 2009 to June, 2011.
Worked as DNA Technical Incharge of Forensic Services Laboratory of the Centre. Helped Police and Judiciary in solving medico legal cases employing DNA Profiling.
- June, 2011 to November, 2013:
Lead Forensic Research and Biopinformatics Group of the Centre. Teaching Ph. D/ M. Phil students of the Centre Advances in Forensic Sciences, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.. Worked as Chairman Academic Committee of CEMB.
- February, 2015 to June 2016
Visiting Faculty, Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, University of The Punjab. Teaching Forensic to MSc Criminology students.
- February, 2016 to January 2017
Visiting Faculty, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Central Punjab. Teaching Advanced Forensuc Toxicology to MS Forensic Students and Introduction to Molecular Biology and Biotechnology to MSc Students.
- January, 2017 to to-date
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Central Punjab. Teaching Bioinfomatics to MS and MSc students. Ecology, Biodiversity and Evolution to BS students. Supervising MS students for their research in the field of Forensic.
Honors and Awards
- International Hand-on Training course on DNA Fingerprinting held at Centre for DNA Fingerprinting & Diagnostics (CDFD), Hyderabad, India from 6 – 19th November 1997.
- One-year training course at Institute of Experimental Medicine, CNR, Rome, Italy from September 1998 to August 1999. Major emphasize during this period was on DNA profiling & Genetic Linkage analysis using PCR amplification of the target DNA and visualizing the amplified product by DNA Sequencer (Genetic Analyzer-310).
- Helped Punjab Police to resolve a parentage case, Blood samples were processed for genotyping STR loci and DNA test report was generated in September, 2001 and Lahore High Court decided the case in the light of the reported results in October, 2001 first time in the history of Pakistan.
- Shafique M, Shahzad MS, Rahman Z, Shan MA, Perveen R, Shahzad M, Hussain M, Shahid AA, Husnain T (2016). Development of new PCR multiplex system by the simultaneous detection of 10 miniSTRs, SE33, Penta E, Penta D, and four Y-STRs. Int J Legal Med. PMID: 27166705 DOI: 10.1007/s00414-016-1372-x (IF= 2.862)
- Muhamamd Shahzad, Muhammad Shafique, Manzoor Hussain, Muhammad Adnan Shan, Rukhsana Perveen, Ziaurehman, Muhammad Idrees (2016). Successful DNA Profiling for Identification of burnt Families from their bones using AmpFℓSTR Identifiler® Plus Kit. Adv. life sci., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 59-626.
- Muhammad Israr, Ahmad Ali Shahid, Allah Rakha, Mian Sahib Zar, Muhammad Saqib Shahzad, Ziaur Rahman, Tayyab Husnain (2016) Baluchi and Pakhtun Population Data of 9 X-chromosomal Short Tandem Repeat Loci. J Forensic Leg Med. 2016 Jan;37:45-9 (IF= 0.870)
- Muhammad Ilyas, Syeda Saadia Fatim Ali, Sobia Ahsan Halim, Zulfiqar Ali Mir, Ziaur Rahman and Tayyab Husnain. (2015). Functional Annotation of Copy Number Variants in Pakistani Population. Pakistan J. Zool., vol. 47(3), pp. 877-881. (IF=0.40)
- Muhammad Shafique, Muhammad Saqib Shahzad, Muhammad Adnan Shan, Azam Ali, Ziaur Rahman & Tayyab Husnain (2015) Genetic polymorphism of ten MiniSTR loci in the population of Punjab Pakistan for forensic application. International Journal of Legal Medicine Volume 129, Issue 5, pp 937-942 (IF= 2.862)
- Muhammad Shafique, Muhammad Saqib Shahzad, Muhammad Adnan Shan, Azam Ali, Ziaur Rahman, Manzoor Hussain & Tayyab Husnain (2015) Allele Frequency Distribution of ten MiniSTR loci in the Pashtun Population Pakistan. International Journal of Legal Medicine Vol. 129 Issue 3 pp 467-468. DOI 10.1007/s00414-015-1179-1 (IF= 2.862)
- Muhammad Ilyas, Jong-Soo Kim, Jesse Cooper, Young-Ah Shin, Hak-Min Kim, Yun Sung Cho, Seungwoo Hwang, Hyunho Kim, Jaewoo Moon, Oksung Chung, JeHoon Jun, Achal Rastogi, Sanghoon Song, Junsu Ko, Andrea Manica, Ziaur Rahman, Tayyab Husnain and Jong Bhak (2015). Whole genome sequencing of an ethnic Pathan (Pakhtun) from the north-west of Pakistan. Genomics., 16:172 DOI 10.1186/s12864-015-1290-1 (IF=4.04)
- Muhammad Shafique, Muhammad Saqib Shahzad, Muhammad Adnan Shan, Azam Ali, Ziaur Rahman, Tayyab Husnain. (2014). Genetic polymorphism of ten MiniSTR loci in the population of Punjab Pakistan for forensic application. Int J Legal Med: DOI 10.1007/s00414-014-1127-5. (IF= 2.862)
- Daud S, Shahzad S, Shafique M, Bhinder MA, ,Niaz M1, Naeem A, Azam M, Rahman Z, Husnain T. (2014). Optimization and Validation of PCR protocol for three Hypervariable Regions (HVI, HVII and HVIII) in Human Mitochondrial DNA. Adv. life sci., 1(3) pp. 165-170.
- Syyada Samra Jafri, Masaud Shah, Ziaur Rahman, Hasib Aamir Riaz, Jamil Riaz, Uzma Perveen, Tauseef Ahmad, Tayyab Husnain. (2014). Measurement of Aggression and related Psychological Constructs using the Genral Aggression and five Factor Models. Sci.Int.(Lahore),26(4),1559-1568,
- Muhammad Ilyas, Ziaur Rahman, Tayyab Husnain, Jong Bhak. (2014). Pharmacogenomic Profile of a Pakistani Individual. Sci. Tech. and Dev. 33 (4): 183-187.
- Perveen R, Rahman Z, Shahzad MS, Israr M, Shafique M, Shan MA, Zar MS, Iqbal M, Husnain T. (2014). Y-STR haplotype diversity in Punjabi population of Pakistan. Forensic Science Int Genet. 9: e20-21. Doi:10.1016. (IF=3.20)
- Muhammad Israr, Ahmad Ali Shahid, Ziaur Rahman, Mian Sahib Zar, Muhammad Saqib Shahzad, Tayyab Husnain, Celine Pfeifer, Peter Wiegand. (2014). Development and characterization of a new 12-plex ChrX miniSTR system. Int J Legal Med DOI 10.1007/s00414-014-1009-x (IF=2.69)
- Masaud Shah, Abdul Wadood, Ziaur Rahman, Tayyab Husnain. (2013). Interaction and inhibition of Dengue envelope Glycoprotein with mammalian receptor DX-SIGN, an in-silico approach.Plos One 8 (3): e 59221 (IF=3.53)
- Masaud Shah, Sulaiman Shams and Ziaur Rahman (2012). Molecular Relationship between Field and Vaccine Strain of Measles Virus and its Persistence in Pakistan. Genetic Vaccines and Therapy. 10: 1- 6. (IF=1.86)
- Niaz M. Achakzai, Z. Rahman, M. S. Shahzad, S. Daud, M. Sahibzar, M. Israr, T. Husnain, Sascha Willuweit, Lutz Roewer (2012). Y -Chromosomal STR analysis in Pashtun Population of Southern Afghanistan. Forensic Sci. Int. Genet. 6 (4): e103-e105. (IF. 3.86)
- Idrees Ahmad Nasir, Arshad Jamal, Ziaur Rahman and Tayyab Husnain (2012). Molecular analyses of gladiolus lines with improved resistance against Fusarium wilt. Pakistan Journal of Botany.44 (1): 73-79. (IF=1.21)
- Mukhtar Alam, Ziaur Rahman, Masaud Shah, Mian Sahib Zar, Sulaiman Shams, Faiz Ali, Muhammad Kazim Khan . (2012 ). Bioethics: Awareness, attitudes and opinions among University students and Faculty/Researchers. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 28(4): 680-685 (IF=0.10)
- Nasir, I. A., Jahangir, G. A., Qamar, Z., Rahman, Z. and Husnain, T. (2011). Maintaining the regeneration potential of sugarcane callus for longer span. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 6(1):113-119. (IF=0.08)
- Syed Shoaib Ahmed, Atif Adnan, Anam Batool, Ziaur Rahman, Muhammad Ilyas and Syyada Samra Jafri (2011). Investigating the potential role of platelet derived growth factor (PDGF). Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Reviews.6(6):133–141
- Bushra, T., Nasir, I. A. Farooq, A. M., Rahman, Z. and Husnain, T. (2010). Viability assessment of in-vitro produced synthetic seeds of cucumber. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9 (28):7026-7032. (IF=0.57)
- Shahzad, M. S., Bokhari, S. Y., Rahman R., Bulbul O and Zia R. Development of STR Multiplex for Six Markers and Genetic Analysis of Pakistani Population. Journal of Islamic Countries for Forensic Medicine, 5 (2009) 46-54
- Faraz Malik, Mahmood A. Kayani, M. Ansar, Obaid Ullah, Muhammad Shafeeq, Shahid Chohan, Yassir Abbas, Saqib Shazad, Ali Raza, Rahat Rehman, Faizan Raiz, Qurat-ul-ain, Muhammad Hassan Siddiqi, Allah Rakha, Ziaur Rahman, Zahoor Ahmed, (2008). Development of 19-plex Y STR system and polymorphism studies in Pakistani population. Journal of Xi’an Jiaotong University, 20 (4).267-273. (IF=0.03)
- Saqib Shahzad, S. Yassir Abbas, Abdul Qayyum Rao, M. Hashim Raza, ObaidUllah, Ziaur Rahman, A. Ali Shahid, Zahoor Ahmed, and S. Riazuddin (2004). Population Studies of STR Markers Loci D3S1358, D5S818, D7S820, D18S51 and FGA (FIBRA) in Sindhi and NWFP Populations of Pakistan for Forensic Use. ARCH. MED. SAD. KRYM. Vol. LIV: 215-222. (IF=2.54)
- S. Yassir Abbas, Saqib Shahzad, Abdul Qayyum Rao, M. Hashim Raza, F. Arshad, M. Shafique, Ziaur Rahman , A. Ali Shahid, Zahoor Ahmed, and S. Riazuddin. (2003). Development of STR Multiplex System (D5S818, D7S820 And D18S51) for Forensic Casework. Pak. J. Zoology. (Proceedings of 23 rd Pakistan Cogress of Zoology), Vol. 23: 167-174. (IF=0.40)
- Aslam, N., Rahman, Z . and Riazuddin, S. (2002). Optimization of PCR Conditions to amplify Short Tandem Repeats (STR) of Human Genomic DNA. International J. of Agriculture & Biology. Vol. 4(1): 4-7. (IF=0.90)
- Aslam, N., Rahman, Z and Raizuddin,S. (2002). Allelic and Genotypic Frequency distribution and three STRloci (vWA, D3S1358 and D16S539) in Pakistani Population. International J. of Agriculture & Biology Vol. 4(1): 8-11. (IF=0.90)
- Rahman, Z, Afroze, T, and Weir, S.B. (2001). DNA Typing results from two urban Sub-Populations of Pakistan. J. of Forensic Sciences USA. Vol. 46(1): 111-115. (IF=1.31)
- Rahman, Z ., Shahid, A. A. and Riazuddin, S. ( 1994 ). Plant Fungus Interaction Chickpea Blight. Pak. J. Agric. Res. Vol. 15: 1, 294-96.
- Khan M. I., Yasmin, R., Fahmy, M. A., Haq R., Shakoori, A. R. and Rahman Z. (1989). Studies on cell survival and metal binding protein(s) in yeast. Pak. J. Zool. Vol. 20: 275-81. (IF=0.40)
- Rahman Z ., Ali, N. and Khan K. M. ( 1980 ). Increase in Wheat yield by Triacontanol: An Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa) Constituent. Pak. J. Agri. Sci. Vol. XVII: 15-18.
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of central Punjab